Pitt Alumni are Making an Impact in the World
Alumni from across Pitt’s schools of the health sciences are impacting the world in unique and varied ways.
Have you recently received an award, promotion, or have news to share? Submit your update online.
- Lisa Coe (PHARM '92): Snap! Building a new career with Legos
- Marilyn West (GSPH '69): 2016 Executive Women in Business: Marilyn West
- Cheryl Harless, D.N.P (NURS '14): Named Chief Nursing officer for Doctors Medical Center
- Freddie H. K. Fu, M.D. (MED '77, Fellow Alumnus, Resident Alumnus): Newsmaker: Dr. Freddie H. Fu
- Gordon Awandare, PhD (GSPH '07): The First Ghanaian to win the Royal Society Pfizer Early Career Award
- Mark S. Vrahas, M.D. (MED '84, Resident Alumnus): Harvard Professor selected as Founding Chair of Cedars-Sinai Department of Orthopaedics
- Leigh Bukowski, MPH (A&S '11, GSPH '15): 2016 Recipient of the Joep Lange and Jacqueline van Tongeren Prize for Young Investigators for Track D, Social and Political Research, Law, Policy and Human Rights
- Tom Miller (MED ’14): Recently published The Philosopher’s Flight
- Mary Williams (NURS ’80): Named dean of the College of Health and Human Services at IUP
- H.S. David Mock II, DMD (DEN '78) and Maxwell Mock, DMD (DEN '17): Father-son dentists lead mission trip with Pitt students to Dominican Republic
- Laura Gieraltowski, PhD (GSPH '09): Lead the CDC investigation into the romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak
- George Durrwachter, DMD (DEN '66): Recipient of the 2018 UPMC Susquehanna Philanthropist Lifetime Achievement Award
- Phyllis Legge DeAntonio, MSN (NURS '89): Inducted into the ECU College of Nursing Hall of Fame
- Larry Merlo (PHARM '78, Trustee), Patricia Maryland, DrPH (GSPH '82), and Louis Shapiro (A&S '81, GSPH '85): Named as three of the top 100 great leaders in healthcare for 2018
- C. Scott Hultman, MD, MBA, FACS (MED '90): Named as new director of the Johns Hopkins Burn Center
- Anne Newman, MD, MPH (A&S '78, MED '82, GSPH '87): New clinical director named to lead Aging Institute at UPMC and Pitt
- Michael Lynch, MD (MED '04, Resident Alumnus): Appointed to new HHS Pain Management Best Practices Inter-Agency Task Force
- Ngoc Thai, MD, PhD (MED '96, '97): Named Chair of the Department of Surgery for Allegheny Health Network
- Diego Chaves-Gnecco, MD, MPH, FAAP (GSPH '00): Received the F. Edwards Rushton CATCH Award from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
This page updates frequently, please check back regularly for more alumni stories.